Former President – Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of SAFA, Leslie Sedibe is not enjoying the days we are living in, particularly after being banned for 5 years by the World Football Government, FIFA, on the issue of the Ten Million American dollars bribe during the 2010 soccer Worldcup preparations. On Monday this week the FIFA officials announced that Mr. Sedibe and the other 3 (three) SAFA officials; Ace Kika, Adeel Carelse and Steve Goddard were all banned and charged with different charges. Kika was given a 3 years ban, while Sedibe was given 5 years and a 20 000 Switzerland Francs fine, which is estimated at 320 000 South African Rands.
The other two officials, Goddard and Carelse, who were working with the Referees, were each given a 2 years ban from soccer by FIFA, effective from the day of the announcement. In October last year the FIFA officials were already suspecting Kika of foul play when it came to the Referees. They have been long suspecting Mr. Kika of taking bribery from Wilson Raj Perumal of Singapore who is the mastermind when it comes to issues of match fixing, who is already bragging about it.
It is clear that Mr. Sedibe’s name was dragged into the saga, while Carelse’s name, who was the Head of Referees, is prevalent.
Sedibe and Kika claim that there was corruption on how the investigation was handled and they are willing to ask anyone who has solid proof on the claims to come forward.
Kika, who is represented by his lawyer Nkosi Mwelo Nonkonyana, says he will never allow his name to be dragged in the mud and it was shocking for him to find out the news from the media, while he was not given any notice by FIFA regarding the matter. Nonkonyane said that FIFA did not follow the proper procedure regarding this matter, which was clear there was someone they were trying to protect. Nkosi Nonkoyane who was also an official at SAFA was fired last year October from the association; he is still busy appealing his sentence. He was fired for carelessly talking about the Bafana Bafana’s loss in the CHAN tournament. Nkosi Nonkonyane who was adamant that Gordon Igesund be fired as the coach of Bafana Bafana, but instead he was fired. Now we see him representing Kika.
Sedibe who was interviewed in one of the SABC stations claimed that he was not guilty and that one day the truth will come out – on the claims of the Ten Million American dollars bribery. Sedibe’s words are the same as the words spoken by Nonkonyane, that there is some big fish that FIFA is trying to protect by painting Kika and Sedibe as the guilty ones. Speaking at the Press Conference, Sedibe made it clear that the FIFA board must be “crazy”; he will not sacrifice his children’s inheritance by paying the fine expected from him and that he will settle the matter in court and clear his name. As the week is coming to a close, in my ears are ringing Sedibe’s words “it is clear that they were looking for someone to blame and they thought I was that person, they will not get that satisfaction from me, with their KANGAROO COURT…
In conclusion Sedibe said he was leading SAFA without a good bugdet and that the truth will surface in no time concerning the money that was given to the Caribbean football officials. Sedibe is also denying the accusations that he met with Perumal, saying that he sent him to Ace Kika, while on the other side Kika is saying that he does not know who Perumal is and that the matter must be referred back to Sedibe.
And the BIG QUESTION is – who will the culprit be and who will the victor be; and who is this BIG FISH that is being protected by FIFA according to Sedibe and Kika?